Monday, May 13, 2013

The Yin and Yang of Business: Is Education All You Really Need To Succeed?

Are You Experiencing a Balanced Business Approach?  


Written by Mark H. McCormack, What They Don't Teach You At Harvard Business School, is an excellent reminder that spending thousands of dollars on a formal education is not necessarily a guarantee that a person is fully prepared to be at the top of their business game.    

He writes, "What this book is really about is "street smarts":  the ability to make active positive use of your instincts, insights, and perceptions.  To use them to get where you want to go, preferably by the shortest route, even if this means jumping some fences or going through a few back alleys."

While McCormack is definitely not criticizing those who have put forth the time, energy, and money to become educated, he is mainly addressing the issue of needing "street smarts" in terms of one's ability to read people on a deeper level in order to enhance and provide more opportunities for positive business experiences.
Whether it is a matter of closing a deal or asking for a raise, of motivating a sales force of 5,000 or negotiating one to one, business situations almost always come down to people situations.  And it is those executives with a finely tuned people sense, and an awareness of how to apply it, who invariably take the edge.
 So what is the point of this book?  McCormack says that while there's nothing wrong with Harvard's business school or the approach it takes, it simply cannot teach you how to read people and develop this skill in a way that will maximize your business transactions and experiences.
That is exactly what this book can teach you:  how to read people, how to influence their reading of you, and how to apply or customize both to any likely business situation.  
You are likely telling yourself one of these things:
  1. This is baloney.  I have been doing business for years and there is nothing more for me to gain from another business book.  It's the economy that's to blame for my slump.  OR
  2. I know I should evaluate where I could use improvement, but I'm just overwhelmed - I don't have time to make any changes right now.  OR
  3. I know that I have either educated myself or have had a formal education, and while my experiences have always helped me to become wiser in my business, this may be the one area that's holding me back from improving my game.  It's worth at least checking into.
None of these responses is either wrong or right - only you can decipher where you are needing improvement in your business, whether it's a professional or personal development issue, and what it's worth to you to stop and evaluate at this point.  

What keeps YOU from choosing an area to improve in and focus on bettering your business?  Your comments are always welcome and appreciated!

You Might Have Missed "10 Useless Facts For Your Enjoyment!"

No comments:

Post a Comment